THE ORIGINAL BYOB OPERA SERIES
FREE FOR KIDS
Patrons 21+ can bring their own liquor. We have snacks, soft drinks, and more!
Conductor, William Hicks
Director, Steve Witting
Lighting Designer, Keithlyn Parkman
Assistant to the Director of Productions, Renée Rogers
Pianist, Jonthan Breit
Rodolfo, Jungho Bae
Mimì, Susan Wheeler
Marcello, Brian Montgomery
Musetta, Nina Riley
Schaunard, Adam Unger
Colline, Virdell Williams
Benoît/Alcindoro/A customs Sergeant, Eric Coyne
Parpignol, Christopher Sanfilippo
Musetta cover, Evelyn Thatcher
Artistic Trustees – Martina Arroyo, Steuart Bedford , Harolyn Blackwell, John Copley, Simon Estes, Carlisle Floyd, Denyce Graves , William Hicks, Rhoda Levine, Elaine Malbin , Jane Marsh , Ashley Putnam, Barry Tucker , Frederica Von Stade and David Walker.
Mission – Opera Company of Brooklyn (OCB) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded in 2000 by Artistic Director Jay Meetze. The company enriches cultural life by offering affordable performances of a wide range of repertoire sung concert style in intimate spaces by talented local artists accompanied by piano. Showcasing opera in this fashion allows for direct engagement with the art form. In this way OCB helps to stimulate and educate audiences, allowing opera to flourish.
Kids under 18 are free! – BYOB Series – This is the best way to enjoy opera – bring your own bottle and have fun with good company and great music. Enjoy a classic opera or a rare piece with your favorite drink.
Music For All – OCB’s education program connects students with opera and its history. We collaborate with teachers to provide students with the historical background of a given music genre from opera to jazz and beyond. Through this interdisciplinary approach, students learn that music is an important part of their culture that is accessible to all.
- Email your 100-word artist biography and resume.
- Tell us what you are willing and available to perform/cover.
- List your three different dates and times you propose to sing for us.
- Wear shorts/jeans to our casual & fun rehearsals and BYOB shows.
- Shows are on-book for reference only, no one is “glued to their scores.”
- We only have two, three-hour rehearsals.
- Rehearsals are the Wednesday/Thursday before the Sat show, 7-10PM.
- Covers attend 1 rehearsal to mark scores & practice coro with leads.
If desired, leads may schedule one free coaching with Maestro.
- Emote with your facial expressions.
- Mostly, artists sing out to the audience rather than to each other.
- Artists improvise simple props, costume pieces, staging, etc.
- Everyone sings chorus parts.
- Shows free educational opportunities for artists – no-pay/no-fee.
- Directions: http://goo.gl/JWxok7
Click for our entire playlist
Mozart’s ‘The Marriage Of Figaro’ – 2:43
Mozart’s ‘Cosi fan Tutte’- 2:40
Mozart’s ‘The Magic Flute’ – 2:06Purcell’s ‘Dido and Aeneas’ – 2:00
Menotti’s ‘Amelia Goes to the Ball’ – 2.24
Massenet’s ‘Werther’ – 3:05
- View performance videos at Youtube: channel operabrooklyn1.
- Email us the opera title you wish to have and your mailing address.
- When we get your email, we send you an email requesting a $20 donation.
- We will make a copy of the video onto a thumb drive and mail it to you.
Rossini’s Cinderella – 7/23
Hansel & Gretel – 7/9
Castor et Pollux – 6/4
Ezio – 5/7
Louise – 4/16
Rossini Gala – 2/28
Das Rheingold – 2/13
PERFORMED IN 2015
Attila, Idomeneo, Don Pasquale, Der Schauspieldirektor, I Pagliacci, Liebeslieder Waltzes, Trouble in Tahiti, Falstaff, Faust, Il barbiere di Siviglia, Salome, Il Trovatore, Elixir of Love, Le Nozze di Figaro, La Traviata, La Rondine, Verdi’s Otello, Elektra, Nabucco, The Rake’s Progress, Aida, Amahl and the Night Visitors